How to communicate with a hearing impaired person
Communicating with a person who has a hearing loss can be stressful for both parties. Even when hearing devices are used, proper communication strategies are essential for maximizing the experience. Try the following tips when communicating with a hearing impaired individual.
- Maintain eye contact with the hearing impaired individual, facing them directly. Do not attempt to hold a conversation from another room; visual cues are an important component of successful communication.
- Make sure you have the person’s attention before beginning a conversation. It helps to state their name so they are aware you are addressing them, and can focus on your words.
- Speak slowly and concisely. Resist the temptation to shout, which can lead to distorted speech and make your words more difficult to understand. Pause between sentences to ensure what you are saying is understood.
- Do not cover your face with your hands or other objects. Individuals with hearing loss rely on visual cues to help follow the conversation, and sometimes find lip reading helpful. Avoid eating and drinking while conversing, as well.
- Try to find a quiet area free of background noise. This can be distracting and cause the hearing impaired individual to miss out on much of what you are saying.
- Repeat yourself if necessary. Try using a different word or rephrasing your sentence if it is too confusing. Refrain from complex words and phrases.
- Supplement your conversation by writing down important information. This might include jotting down the topic you will be discussing beforehand.
- Pay attention to the listener. If they look confused, offer to clarify what you have just said.
- Remember, communication is a two-way street. Give the other person a chance to speak, and do not interrupt.
An audiologist can diagnose hearing loss and will recommend treatment methods based on a number of factors; these include lifestyle activity levels, the degree of hearing loss, and the type of hearing loss.
Contact one of our convenient locations for more information or to schedule an appointment.
- Sellersville (215) 453-8900
- Lansdale (215) 368-5290
- Doylestown (215) 348-1152
- Pottstown (610) 323-1550
- Phoenixville (610) 933-8896
- Abington (215) 886-1482
- Wynnewood (610) 642-9301
- Paoli (610) 296-5600
- Havertown (610) 446-6900
- Spring House (215) 646-2118
- Blue Bell (610) 275-6153
- Doylestown (215) 345-5323
- West Grove (610) 345-0977
- West Chester (610) 384-8300
- Kennett Square (610) 925-5551
- Exton (610) 384-8300
- Coatesville (610) 384-8300